The Early Years Learning Framework (Being, Belonging, Becoming) describes the principles, practice and outcomes essential to support and enhance young children's learning from birth to five years of age, as well as their transition to school. The framework has a strong emphasis on play-based learning as play is the best vehicle for young children's learning providing the most appropriate stimulus for brain development.
Little Peoples Early Learning Centre's provide a written program using the following guidelines:
- Realistic goals for individual children set from observations and recordings of each child's special interests and developmental records. These goals include long range goals for the group as well as goals for individual children.
- Emphasise learning as an interactive process with materials and people. The environment is arranged so that children learn through active participation.
- We provide a balance of activities :
- Individual/small group/large group;
- Child initiated/adult initiated;
- Large motor/small motor.
- Children select their own activities during the day from a range of several activities the teacher has planned or the child has initiated.
- We provide a range of developmentally appropriate activities and materials.
- We provide a range of culturally diverse and appropriate activities and materials.
- Daily routines are flexible according to the changes in weather, special celebrations and visitors and any other situations.
- We provide for integration of special needs children.
- We reflect cultural and linguistic diversity in all areas of the program. Gender equity and anti bias inclusive.
- Evaluations of the programs are carried out continuously and include:
- The achievement of objectives;
- The appropriateness of teaching methods;
- The suitability of resources;
- The desired or undesired outcome;
- The effectiveness of planning/preparation;
- The reestablishment of objectives;
- Any spontaneous activities are recorded and evaluated.
Children's investigations are documented and displayed throughout the centre. This allows parents to see children's involvement and learning and allows them to follow through with their child's interests.
Little Peoples ELC's adhere to the National Quality Standard, and have implemented a Quality Improvement Plan (QIP), which is an ongoing improvement document under continual review. The Quality Improvement Plans are available for viewing.